Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Welcome to Menopauseland, the unhappiest place on Earth!


I came across a headline about this new destination website called "Menopauseland" in one of the trade pubs I read (oh yes, I read the trade pubs), and it offended me greatly. Now, I can see how creating a social space for menopause-suffrn' Estroven users to commune/celebrate with each other is a good idea, I really can...but seriously..."Menopauseland"? Are they high? Let me tell you from experience, menopause is flat-fucking awful (I had medically induced menopause from a drug called Lupron twice in my 20's). I don't ever, ever want to hang out in a place that evokes all my memories of severe hot flashes, weight gain, massive mood swings, etc. The word "menopause" is extraordinarily evocative and polarizing (to both women and men), and should be used with caution laced with respect. It's also exclusively owned by women who have experienced it, so anyone seeking to casually appropriate it is looking for fistful o' trouble. With all that said, if the purpose of the site is to remind Estroven users that their lives are not in fact run by their menopause symptoms, why the deuce would you call the site "Menopauseland"? The name of the site makes me think that Estroven has no idea who I am and what I want or need. And that is the kiss of death for a brand. This article astounds me, and it reminds me of a righteous truth: a great idea can be ruined by a poor execution. Oh, and that fat white guys shouldn't be working on feminine brands.

Brandweek
Estroven Ads Beckon: Come to Menopauseland
April 15, 2008

By Todd Wasserman

Few women look forward to menopause, but Amerifit wants to make Menopauseland a popular destination with a $20 million campaign for its Estroven supplement.

The effort, via BrandBuzz, New York, describes a metaphorical place where women are unburdened by the effects of menopause thanks to Estroven, an over-the-counter supplement made up of all-natural ingredients such as soy and black cohosh, plus vitamin D.

The campaign includes 15- and 30-second TV spots, print and online revolving around a postcard image from a woman to a friend, describing how Estroven has helped her in the journey to Menopauseland, where the sun shines and dark clouds are short-lived.


"Our extensive market research showed us that women in this lifestage are celebrating their achievements and if they can keep the symptoms of menopause at bay, they are happier now than they were when they were younger," said Steve Swenson, director-marketing at Amerifit Brands, Cromwell, Conn., in a statement. "Menopauseland is a place where women successfully navigate around their symptoms of menopause and are able to embrace this new phase of life."

http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003789751

Fucking idiots...probably spent millions of damn dollars on this shit too...jackasses. And what's with the Janice Dickenson-lookin' bitch they have on the front page? Seriously...these guys are idiots. I hope they all get itchy ball rashes.

No comments: